Re: GnuCash: GPL vs. Qt

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> wrote:
> Some say that the GPL is not compatible with Qt.
>
> Here is the hypothetical situation:

What you laid out is "a" hypothetical situation, not "the" hypothetical
situation.

And, the basic problem with combining "pure GPL" and Qt is that there's
not just one person involved.

For example, another situation (unfortunately not so hypothetical) is
where the logic "it's ok to distribute GPLed code linked against Qt"
has resulted in code being used with Qt which was originally written by
authors who rather obviously never licensed their code for Qt.

> I'm going to write an application myself that has both a Gtk and Qt
> front-end. I am doing this because I want to build bridges over to the
> KDE community, not burn them. I guess this means I shouldn't use the
> GPL (or I will get attacked for doing so). I might end up LGPL'ing
> everything.

The LGPL is certainly one solution.  GPL & Artistic license is another.
GPL and a small clause that says it's ok to distribute with Qt is
another.  And nothing restricts you to these choices (unless you're
using someone else's code: they you're restricted to whatever they're
willing to put down as the license).

--
Raul