Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 10:16:52PM -0500, Petra, Kevin J Poorman wrote:

> Debian should commit to do any or all of the following.

First let me say that Debian is only commited to free software and high
quality. Everything else is done by people who feel that something is
needed.

So, if you think something is really needed, we are looking forward to your
high quality software we can look at.

> debian should also have a firm and well known and loved logo. a contest
> should be held for this ... possibly debian should do as gimp does and
> offer a reward. ...

This is something that will be discussed later. I already suggested a gimp
contest for this, and some people have suggested the very same.

I just failö to understand what this has to do with your "technical"
proposal, as this is purely marketing.

> this also does not comprimise technical quality.

Granted.

> debian should also work to switch from the archaic man page format, by
> provideing as standard packages, the packages that will allow man pages to
> be served as html pages. useing lynx or kfm, netscape... ect.
>
> I fail to see how this could be a compromise either...

Then you never learned how to use man pages. First, the man page format is
the troff/groff format, not really archaic, if you ask me. It does surve a
special purpose (as a text formatting format) and does serve it very well.
You can produce fancy screen output as well as print them. I can't imagine
anyone who would seriously start up netscape to read a man page. One had to
switch to X for this...

But let me tell you that we are doing better. We work at a document
registration, where different documents in all formats can be registered and
will be resented in a hierachical tree that you can browse using various
systems (for example netscape). This will hopefully be ready in a first
version for 2.1.

> hows that for a tech proposal?

It is easy to proof that you are neither informed about the internal
progress of Debian nor about the technical issues involved. You just don't
see the whole picture, which makes your suggestions very poor, sorry.

Marcus