Re: text adventures

Brian Bassett <brianb@mail.wsu.edu> writes:

> At 03:40 PM 7/24/98 , Steve Dunham wrote:
> >If there is any computer science student looking for an interesting
> >but small compiler project this would be a fun one to tackle.
> >(Develop a language for adventure games and write a compiler that
> >generates "z-code" or "zasm" instructions.)
>
> That does sound interesting.  (Even timely, as I'm going to be starting a
> course on compilers in about a month.)  Can you give me any pointers to
> resources on the basics of z-code?

The if-archive is at ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive, all of the infocom
related stuff is in the infocom directory.

There is some documentation at:

  ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/infocom/interpreters/specification/

And there is a perl script, zasm, that compiles "assembly"
instructions to z-code.

The newsgroup is rec.games.int-fiction.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu