Re: Re^2: Should we ship KDE in hamm?

> Am 22.07.98 schrieb dalla # pluto.linux.it ...
>
> Moin Michele!
>
> MDS> I don't like to have software non-opensrc in the main distribution or
> MDS> official CDROMs.
>
> But KDE is free software.

Software without a licence does not count as free software.  KDE binaries
currently have no licence (the GPL excludes itself from being used for these
binaries, see section 7).  We don't even get to distribute them as non-free if
they have no licence.

The fact that they are still in contrib is just a result of being too close to
release to fix the problem.  It will be fixed soon enough by either fixing the
copyright, or dropping the binaries.  The same goes for any other GPL software
linked against non-free libs (i.e. Motif).

In the mean time, README.contrib will explain the problem to our users.

Cheers, Phil.