Re: text adventures

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > > Do we really need to include the source of infocom text adventures to
> > > put them in main (contrib, actually)? This is not the source code of a
> > > program, I do not think we should require it.
> >
> > Of course it is.  The game is a compiled program, running under a virtual
> > machine.
>
> First of all these "game files" are not free. I spent lots of money on
> infocom games and "own" several of the files that the "infocom" program
> will play.
>
> These files are much more like GIFs. That is, there is a file format
> definition that allows the program to "play" the game. Must the maintainer
> of a GIF viewer provide all the files available, even if they are not
> free?

Oops, crossed wires, sorry.

I thought that the ``them'' in the sentence:

  Do we really need to include the source of infocom text adventures to
  put them in main ...
      ^^^^

referred to the adventures, whereas you seem to be talking about the
interpreters now.

I'd have thought the interpreters can go in main, especially if there is an
adventure compiler that allows freeware adventures (game files) to be written.

If there happen to be no freeware games available at present, then contrib
seems more appropriate, since it's not going to be much use without a non-free
game file to run on it.

Cheers, Phil.