Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 12:36:40AM -0500, Kysh Dragon wrote:
> > I think you're confusing Linux with Windows.  Windows is the one
> > that's not GPLed.
>
> The GPL doesn't matter a whit in these cases. The GPL doesn't prohibit
> someone from starting a deplorable trend that is utterly not in
> complience with 'standards'. The GPL doesn't prohibit RedHat from putting
> Enlightenment in
> /lib/modules/graphics/2.1.109/Enlightenment/e.binary/enlightenment -- No
> matter how deplorable that is. And if RedHat does it and starts a trend,
> the developers who use RedHat will follow that trend... And break
> compatibility on other systems.

If Redhat started a trend THAT bad, they'd be laughed out of the industry.

> For example, there are lots of programs that want to install themselves in
> /opt. RedHat has /opt. I hate /opt and no system I ever admin will have
> /opt unless it's Solaris.

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           11 Jul 22 12:39 opt -> /usr/local//

Zimple!  My preference is to leave anything people would put into /opt into
/usr/local, the place the FSSTND says to put such things.  When we move to
FHS, I will use that after I have repartitioned.  Then, not now.

> Say that RedHat takes it into their skull to write a proprietory libc /
> dynamic loader (ld). Programmers run RedHat. They program with the new
> libc. Bam, an industry standard, like Microsoft word.

Again, I expect Redhat would not create a proprietary libc/ld..  Nobody
would use Redhat again if they did that.  Look at M$.  People are dropping
it like a hot potato now because what they were doing was bad--what they are
doing now is intollerable.  We wouldn't put up with it from Redhat either.