Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Brian Almeida wrote:

bma>On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 04:16:56PM -0500, Kysh Dragon wrote:
bma>> Here's an experiment for the masses.. go to www.redhat.com and find
bma>> information, within a few clicks, that RedHat is available for free
bma>> download. Heck, find Linux referred to as a free operating system anywhere
bma>> on the front page!
bma>Nope. Unable to.

	See my previous post.  I found a long detailed discussion in two
clicks.

bma>The one thing that pisses me off about RedHat is that they *do* give the
bma>impressesion that there's only one distribution -- I've seen sigs on
bma>linux-kernel that say:
bma>
bma>"For a REAL OS, use LINUX -- http://www.redhat.com/";
bma>I don't care about promoting redhat, but damn that makes it sound like
bma>it's the only one.  Most of the developers here I've seen have something
bma>like 'Debian/GNU Linux....http://www.debian.org/'

	Where is RedHat mentioned on Debian's web site ?

	This is our opening paragraph.  Does it mention that Debian is one
of many linux distributions ?  (I don't want to change it, it's a good
opening paragraph.)

                  Debian is a free, or Open Source, operating system (OS)
for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and
utilities that make your computer run. At the core of an operating system
is the kernel. The kernel is the most fundamental program on the computer,
does all the basic housekeeping and lets you start other programs.  Debian
uses the Linux kernel, a free piece of software written by Linus Torvalds
and supported by (probably over 1000) programmers worldwide.  A large part
of the basic tools that fill out the operating system come from GNU, which
are also free. Of course, the thing that people want is software; tools to
help them get what they want to do done, from editing documents to running
a business to playing games to writing more software. Debian comes with
over 1500 packages (precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for
easy installation on your machine) -- all of it free.

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>