Re: CD images

> Philip Hands wrote:
>   >
>   >    Sentiment seems to favour their removal from hamm, so that we can sort
>   >    this out properly in time for slink, but (quite rightly) Brian is
>   >    unwilling to make changes this close to release. (I've no idea what we
>   >    should do about this)
>
> This `sentiment' seems to be maybe 10 people out of around 300 (both
> counts are a guess)
>
> I strongly disagree with that sentiment.

Would you like to explain your reasons ?

Why are you so convinced that we are morally or legally able to distribute
code, some of which appears to have doubtful or non existent licences, and
some of which was written by non-KDE authors, and is licensed with the GPL
which appears to specifically exclude its use in this way ?

> A decision to throw out packages should be taken by a proper vote,
> and should preferably be backed up by some qualified legal opinion

Ah, so all those packages with >= important bugs logged against them that just
disappeared from hamm, were only dropped after a vote ?   I think not.

> (though
> it would be a pretty poor lawyer who couldn't argue this one three or
> four different ways...)

That sounds like reason enough to drop these packages --- things that
could be argued four different ways are clearly questionable.

I really don't like this idea that we should distribute code that has faulty
licences, because we cannot get sued for doing so.

I'd like the software that we distribute to have a clear and unequivocal
permission to distribute, from the people that actually hold the copyright.

Cheers, Phil.