Re: CD images

Philip Hands wrote:
  >> I strongly disagree with that sentiment.
  >
  >Would you like to explain your reasons ?
  >
  >Why are you so convinced that we are morally or legally able to distribute
  >code, some of which appears to have doubtful or non existent licences, and
  >some of which was written by non-KDE authors, and is licensed with the GPL
  >which appears to specifically exclude its use in this way ?

I've already stated, at length, my opinions about the GPL as applied
to their own software by KDE.

Any software that KDE have adapted contrary to its licence is, of course,
a different matter.

  >> A decision to throw out packages should be taken by a proper vote,
  >> and should preferably be backed up by some qualified legal opinion
  >
  >Ah, so all those packages with >= important bugs logged against them that ju
      >st
  >disappeared from hamm, were only dropped after a vote ?   I think not.

That isn't the issue I'm talking about; do consider the context of such
statements.

  >> (though
  >> it would be a pretty poor lawyer who couldn't argue this one three or
  >> four different ways...)
  >
  >That sounds like reason enough to drop these packages --- things that
  >could be argued four different ways are clearly questionable.

I think the idea that you can get things legally safe is a pipe dream.
The one maxim to apply in regard to the law is: stay out of court.

  >I really don't like this idea that we should distribute code that has faulty
      >
  >licences, because we cannot get sued for doing so.
  >
  >I'd like the software that we distribute to have a clear and unequivocal
  >permission to distribute, from the people that actually hold the copyright.

Yes.  We have it, with the possible exception of some material that KDE
may have incorporated wrongly; as I said, that is a separate issue.