Re: [OT] Hurd, was Re: The LSB and packages

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Adriano Nagelschmidt Rodrigues wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann writes:
> > Well, at least the Debian GNU/Hurd project will use dpkg for now (as soon as
> > I or somebody else get to compile this beast on the Hurd :), so it may well
> > be that the GNU project will base its distribution on dpkg, too.
>
> While we're talking about the Hurd, am I right to think it is going to be
> binary compatible with Debian GNU/Linux, as long as both use glibc (on the
> same platform, of course)?
>
> I'm curious about the Hurd, yet I can't find much info in the FSF pages. I had
> the impression development had sort of stopped as Linux was being ported to
> more and more architectures (putting the whole "microkernel argument" to
> rest).

To get current info, I suggest you try the following:

a) Subscribe to debian-hurd
b) Read the debian-hurd archives on www.debian.org
c) Ask people you might meet on debian-hurd, particularly 'gord' who is on
the team and knows what's up.

The short answer to your question is that yes, binary compatibility via
glibc is one of the goals.  The current (shortp-range) goal is
source-level compatibility, and intergration of dpkg.

Jules