Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Kysh Dragon wrote:

> > > Are you mad? RedHat doesn't even acknowledge the GNU component of their
> > > system. `RedHat Linux', not `Gnu Linux'.
> >
> > Semantics.
>
> Not semantics. I don't remember where off the top of my head, but I
> believe GNU expressed its wishes to have a Gnu/Linux system known as such,
> rather than just Linux. Of course, we're not going to call it
> Gnu/BSD/Xfree/Bind/.../Linux, but GNU has contributed very major parts of
> the system -- parts that, honestly, there wouldn't BE a system without.

It wasn't 'GNU', it was RMS.  And, I thought he was a bit silly at the
time.  It is only semantics.  I'm not saying that we should change our
name - I think 'Debian GNU/Linux' is a good name.  It gives credit where
it is due.  But you can't really condemn RedHat for not following suit.
It is more or less fundemental to the DFSG that I have the right to create
a derivative work of Debian, name it what I like, and sell it (as long as
I provide full source code, and the right to redistribute, to the end
user).

> This is a digression, so I'll trim back onto the subject.

True.

> > > I trust RedHat about as far as I can spit, and not that far.
> > >

> > Your privilege. But when you talk like that, you aren't speaking for
> > Debian, just youself.
>
> Nor do I claim to speak for Debian. Do I have `Debian Spokesdragon' in my
> signature or my `Real Name' field? No.

Of course not.  But I am making a serious point.  Debian (and here, I am
taking the liberty of speaking for the project [1]) does not need, or
want, a reputation as 'RedHat-bashers'.

[ The dragon suggests an unwillingness to switch to a common package
format]

> > That's bigoted.  We use dpkg at the moment because it has concrete
> > advantages over RPM.  If another system were proposed which encompassed
> > our requirements, and enabled us to share packages with RedHat, that would
> > be a *huge* advantage.
>
> That's like sharing underwear with a leper.

!

I hardly think that deserves an answer.  There have been many occasions
when I've wished I could use an rpm (yes, I know about alien), and some
commercial stuff is distributed as rpms (not that I use commercial
software personally when I can avoid it - but this provides value to our
users).

> > > RedHat, being a commercial company with interests ranging only in making
> > > money (And to do this, they have to maintain their reputation -- which is
> > > why they want to come off as benifiting the free software community), is
> > > on no-ones side but their own.
> > >

> > That is very nearly libellous.  There may well be some people in RedHat
> > who think like that.  And, yes, they need money to feed their families.
> > But they *do* release their distribution for free download, and they *do*
> > GPL the work they do.  So they are on our side.
>
> First you say what I say is libellous, and then you agree with my whole
> point, summing it up with a disagreement of MY OWN summation! Amusing.

I don't know about you Kysh, but I have to earn money, too.  And I do it
in computing.  I daresay that's true for a notable proportion of debian
developers.  Believing in free software is *not* exclusive to making money
in the computing industry.

> > > You -must- be joking.
> >
> > He's not.  But I'm not going to bother to argue the point.  It seems
> > obvious enough to me.
> >
> > It is my opinion - and I have seen this backed up on debian-private - that
> > there is no place in debian for anti-redhat feelings.  It's chauvinism,
> > really.  Sure, joke about them as much as you like - but I cannot agree
> > with the sentiments of your email.
>
> I didn't ask you to. :>
>
> You -Know- RH is slimy when they've got insiders here, too. ;>
> (Seriously, that's more of a joke than anything else - I'm not paranoid,
> I'm just an idealist)

OK.  That's a joke.  It's in pretty bad taste.  I am not, in any sense, an
RH insider - but I imagine there are RH people on this list - and why the
hell shouldn't there be?

Jules