Re: RH and GNOME

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:
> Raul Miller wrote:
> > Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
> > > He refuses to accept any changes to the Makefile or config scripts to
> > > allow installation in anything but /usr/local/enlightenment.
> >
> > I was under the impression that some other guy was working on a complete
> > overhaul of the config stuff, including the ability to configure gets
> > run from.
> >
> > You mmight want to talk with him about when that will be ready, or how
> > you can help (I forget his name, but think he posted a couple times to
> > the enlightenment list).
>
> Raul I have talked to both Raster and Mandrake in person and in irc.
> They say that it is theirs and they will do what they darn well please.
> Both of them want all of E to be in <foo>/enlightenment -- bins,
> configs, dox, everything.

That's unfortunate.  I would, however, like to look at your patches.
One way that would satisfy both groups would be:

- Put the following line early in E/configure.in, and all subdir
  configure.ins too:

	ac_default_prefix=/opt/enlightenment

- People who just do

	./configure; make; make install

  will get their stuff in

	/opt/enlightenment/{bin,doc}

- People who explicitly specify a prefix as in

	./configure --prefix=/my/own/place
	./configure --prefix=/usr

  would still get the right stuff, according to the GNU FS layout, and
  most probably FSSTND too.

(Of course, this may be exactly what your patch does.  Since I haven't
seen it yet...)

- Hari