Re: Policy for apps in /usr/X11R6

>When I packaged the gnome apps, I originally installed them into
>/usr/X11R6 because they were X applications.
>
>David Engel disagreed with this, and said /usr/X11R6 was only for the
>X system itself, not applications.  Since I couldn't find anything in
>the Debian Policy manual, FSSTND or FHS that said apps should (or
>shouldn't) go into /usr/X11R6, I agreed to move them.

that discussion was raised one year ago, when i packaged kde, and
at that time no solution was found, so i accepted the word of the policy
editor christian as rule.

my own opinion is, that no single softwaresystem except X11 has it's own
subtree, and i would not mind removeing that exception. but the fhs group did
a different decission, to allow X11/ an own directory subtree.
i can agree, that this tree should not only hold XFree programs, but also
programs with a string tie to the window system, like the fvwm* windowmanager.

but i think that desktop environments like kde or gnome, interpreter like
wish, and much other stuff not tight so strong to X11 should be placed in /usr
as usual.

everybody agreed, that stuff useing x11 only optional (like vim changeing the
xterm title, or emacs, or ...) should not go into the x11 subdirs.

> a)  /usr/X11R6 is for the X11 system only.
	and stuff integrated with a strong tie like windowmanager, xman ...

> b)  /usr/X11R6 is for the X11 system and all libraries and applications
>          which depend on X.

depend ? let's say: everything that opens an x11 window.

i vote for a).

andreas