Re: Debian v2.0 ("Hamm") Release (RSN)

Hi,
>>"Santiago" == Santiago Vila Doncel <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

 >> > As far as I know, moving packages from one section to another one is done
 >> > in an atomic way, via scripts, so there should be no "risk".
 >>
 >> As far as I know, you're correct.  However, what it accomplishes is minor
 >> and could potentially have greater ill effects.

 Santiago> What ill effects are you talking about?
 Santiago> Having an inconsistent base section is already ill enough!

	So how come we did not discover it until after a hard freeze?
 If we could get along so far without discovering this supposed
 garguantan error, I suspect the error is not as onerous as you would
 make out.

	Any change has consequences. We have to minimize changesnear a
 release, cuse eveninnocuous changes may cause serious bugs. Nothing
 but known *important* bug fixes should now be allowed.

 Santiago> Do ftp.debian.org maintainers agree with Brian?

	I am not a comaintainer, but even so, I do agree with brian,
 for what it counts for. At some point, we have to stop making
 changes, and freeze the distribution, and release it.

 Santiago> If yes, then perhaps I should volunteer for being a
 Santiago> co-maintainer for ftp.debian.org also, so that we do not
 Santiago> repeat this mess with slink.

	Actually, if you are so willing to make changes so deep in the
 freeze, I would object to you tempramental suitability to be ftp
 archive co-maintainer. Intemprate actions are not what is required of
 the ftp team.

	manoj
--
 "I'll rob that rich person and give it to some poor deserving
 slob. That will *prove* I'm Robin Hood." Daffy Duck, Looney Tunes,