Re: Debian i386 freeze

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here (though I notice it didn't stop
anyone else on this thread :-)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> > On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 03:32:48PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > > Of course we are not so inclined, but could Debian simply declare qt a
> > > "major system component" and end this argument? :-)
>
> No.  It has to be be a part of a major system component, and it
> can't be unusual for users of that system to have access to it.

But if it was on the Debian CD and FTP site it wouldn't be unusual to
have access to it.  And I think even people who don't use GUIs much would
agree that the graphical interface is a major part of a system.

> So, if Qt shipped as part of the linux kernel, that would be OK.

Even curses doesn't ship as part of the kernel.  Neither does motif on
Solaris.  Or did you mean base system?  Even in that case it seems like it
would be easy for someone to just declare qt/kde/motif/whatever as part of
the base system.

> Or, if Qt shipped as one of the libraries for gcc, that would be
> OK.  (To take MS Windows as an example: the compiler is an extra
> cost item, but you can still distribute stuff compiled against its
> libraries to any Windows user.)

Many Microsoft DLLs are freely redistributable but you don't have the
source and cannot alter them.  Same goes for Motif on Solaris (actually I
don't think you can redistribute it. I just don't see how they are ok but
qt is intrinsically evil and horrible.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>