Re: Policy for apps in /usr/X11R6

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Jim Pick wrote:
> When I packaged the gnome apps, I originally installed them into
> /usr/X11R6 because they were X applications.
>
> David Engel disagreed with this, and said /usr/X11R6 was only for the
> X system itself, not applications.  Since I couldn't find anything in
> the Debian Policy manual, FSSTND or FHS that said apps should (or
> shouldn't) go into /usr/X11R6, I agreed to move them.
>
> I also notice that libgtk1 was not installed under /usr/X11R6.  I
> think there are many other examples.
>
> Now I've recieved requests to move the Gnome binaries/libraries back
> to /usr/X11R6.

 I was one of them....

> Personally, I don't care where they go.  But there needs to be a clear
> policy on this.  Either:
>
>  a)  /usr/X11R6 is for the X11 system only.
>
>  b)  /usr/X11R6 is for the X11 system and all libraries and applications
>           which depend on X.

I personally vote for b). My reasoning is that it makes it easier for
people to rearrange file-systems. Originally I had /usr all on one
file-system. Now, when I installed more and more stuff, this filled up. I
needed some room, and thus looked at which directories were large.
/usr/X11R6 was, and it also seemed like a logical grouping. Therefore, I
moved /usr/X11R6 to a seperate filesystem, thereby freeing up lotsa
megabytes.

So I started installing more and more stuff. Now my /usr filesystem is
filling up again. I started looking at what was installed in /usr/, and
found out that a lot of programs I expected to be in /usr/X11R6/bin where
in fact in /usr/bin. So far for my reasoning that moving X somewhere else
was gonna help.

Examples of programs I expected to be installed in /usr/X11R6/bin where
all gnome stuff, and gimp.

Anybody has reasoning for putting this stuff in /usr/bin?

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |