Re: Debian standard SQL server (was Re: Ideas from Usenix)

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 03:15:43PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > What is that?  A series of DB independent interfaces for various
> > languages?  I think that's kinda beyond the scope of Debian, but think
> > it's a good idea, and alot of the work is done already.
> Other people have been writing it, and it's already pretty useful. I'm
> mostly just talking about us packaging it up (well, except I don't know
> if it would be legal for us to distribute stuff like the Oracle support).

Or possible---no Oracle client for Linux.  Yet.

> > So what is it we're talking about here anyways?
> http://www.arcana.co.uk/technologia/perl/DBI/
> We've got some of this supported in debian already (no free databases
> though, if I recall correctly).

Well, someone said they were going to work on doing libdbd-pg-perl, at which
time I scrapped my 15-minute hack version.

It hasn't appeared yet.

But the libdbi stuff works fine, though it's in contrib which I've never
understood.  And we have libdbd-my?sql-perl packages as well I believe, and
I've used the libdbd-mysql-perl package for more than a year with no
problems.

Mike.