Re: Debian standard SQL server (was Re: Ideas from Usenix)

Craig Brozefsky <craig@onshore.com> wrote:
> Uhm, you really don't wanna go there in my opinion, and I'm someone
> who has done a good deal of RDBMS work on Linux and Debian boxes.  The
> needs of applications that would be using an RDBMS are in my opinion a
> bit too diverse to try and have a "Debian" SQL server in main.

For what it's worth, I also slosh databases around for a living (and,
I'm also acutely aware of their limitations. Then again, I'm also
acutely aware of the limitations of grep..).

That said, the perl DBI system gives us a certain level of database
independence.

> > At the moment, I believe that there are two viable SQL servers which
> > we could put in main. Postgres is one, Perl's DBD::CSV is another.

> Please do not put either in main, your user base for these is going
> to be a very low percentage uot of the entire Debian install base,
> and the last thing I want one my 386 is a friggin postgresql process
> hanging around. Of all the linux boxen I have ever run, a very small
> percentage have ever needed a RDBMS, and most of those were for pure
> bullshit reasons 8)

Maybe we don't want to make these standard, but I see no reason not to
have these things in main.

I don't think we should have an sql server for anything we rely on, but
I think following the lead of the perl dbi folks would be a good thing
to do (and is something which is at least as useful as the picon stuff).

I think an sql server is kinda silly for that help hints project (you
want to have help hints work for people that don't know how to manage an
sql server, and you want it to work for things that are higher priority
than such a server), but that doesn't mean that an sql server is a bad
idea as an independent project.

--
Raul