Re: Debian standard SQL server (was Re: Ideas from Usenix)

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> For what it's worth, I also slosh databases around for a living (and,
> I'm also acutely aware of their limitations. Then again, I'm also
> acutely aware of the limitations of grep..).

What??? You dare besmirch the name of grep??? Infidel!

> That said, the perl DBI system gives us a certain level of database
> independence.

But only for one language, obviously 8^)

> Maybe we don't want to make these standard, but I see no reason not to
> have these things in main.

Agreed, I had misunderstood the purpose of "main".

> I don't think we should have an sql server for anything we rely on, but
> I think following the lead of the perl dbi folks would be a good thing
> to do (and is something which is at least as useful as the picon stuff).

What is that?  A series of DB independent interfaces for various
languages?  I think that's kinda beyond the scope of Debian, but think
it's a good idea, and alot of the work is done already.

So what is it we're talking about here anyways?