Re: Debian i386 freeze

Hi,

 John> Buddha Buck writes:
 >> Since I cannot simultaneously satisfy both the GPL and Qt, I don't have
 >> -any- right to distribute KDE binaries.

 John> But *only* the KDE authors have standing to sue you for doing
 John> so,

	What about Troll? Since the problem seems to be that we
 *distribute* KDE under a pure GPL, which gives rights to modify the
 QT header files, Troll could sue us. Or sue someone who downloaded
 from us and further distributed a modifed copy. Or ...

 John> and, when you put them on the witness stand and force them
 John> to admit to what they did, they'll be laughed out of court.

	I don't have the moeny to take them to court or be taken to
 court. Why should we be put in the position of violating licenses? I
 don't give a damn whther the authors could actually win. Court costs
 would be enough to sink me.

	I am not even going to go into the ethics of distributing code
 in violation of applicable licenses.

 John> The recent revelation that KDE contains code not authored by the KDE
 John> developers, especially code not properly licensed, is a real problem
 John> unrelated to the QT thing.

	I was not aware of this.

	manoj

--
 PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with
 inanimate objects.