Re: feature of cheking install size when installation.

Masato Taruishi <taruisma@sunicom.co.jp> writes:

> Hello.
>
> A ML member of Debian JP users said:
>  When I was installing many packages using dpkg, hard disk was full
>  on the way and the internal data of dpkg was broken.
>
> Why don't you create the feature to check the installtion size before
> installing the real installation?

Well, the answer is that it turns out to be quite hard to do this. This is
because people can set up a unix machine to have different directories on
different partitions. This means dpkg would have to figure out which files are
going to land on which partition in order to do this properly.

Nonetheless, there were plans to do so. There was a lot of mail from people
hashing out the plans of how to go about it a few weeks ago. I haven't heard
anything recently. The next release of Debian (after 2.0) might have this
feature.

greg