Re: [RETRACTED] Intent to package: libdes

> On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 02:14:49PM +0200, jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
> > For a personal project, I need Eric Young's libdes. It's DFSG-free (tho=
> ugh
> > not exportable from the US), and some code already uses part of it (SSH
> > comes to mind). I'd like to package it up, if there are no objections.
> >=20
> As I just discovered, libdes (and its applications) is included in the SS=
> L*
> packages.

First of all, you might consider avoiding quoted-unreadable encoding stuff
at least when it's not necessary.

Secondly I assume it's in libcrypto.so in the libssl08 package then?
It doesn't include a library called libdes specifically.

However, there is a libdes in kerberos in the kerberos4kth package.
It's called libdes and it's based on EAY's DES code but I think it's
a different API, which is what Kerberos expects.

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:

> If it is useful to anything other than ssh, it should be a seperate package.

Both instances are in separate packages at least in the sense that they are
"separate" from non-libraries. Having to install some extra shared libraries
(In the case of libssl08 just libssl.so, in the case of Kerberos it's a lot of
other libraries) isn't the end of the world.

$ dpkg -L libssl08
/.
/usr
/usr/lib