Re: kde/gpl discussion is silly

Hi,

 Martin> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> Actually, I say that the GPL allows me to change anything that is
 >> part of the sources, which indeed includes a subset of QT, so I
 >> say I have a right to modify a subset of QT. This is not a
 >> problem, you think?

 Martin> This is a point that I don't understand.  Qt is not part of
 Martin> the KDE source.  Qt comes with different packages.  Qt has a
 Martin> different license.  So why shouldn't I realize/recognize
 Martin> this?

	Oh, sure, Qt does come under a different license. However, KDE
 is under the GPL, and all the sources, including config scripts and
 make files and interface definitions (header files) are also under
 the GPL. If KDE uses QT header files, then that subset of QT falls
 under GPL, if the binaries are so distributed. Not all of QT, merely
 the subset of QT required to build the binaries. (The only exceptions
 are system headers; and under no stretch of imagination Motif or QT
 can be called parts of the system for Linux). Therein lies the
 problem. We can distribute the sources as we wish. Not the binaries.

	manoj
--
 Suppose for a moment that the automobile industry had developed at
 the same rate as computers and over the same period: how much cheaper