Re: Debian i386 freeze

Stephan Kulow <coolo@itm.mu-luebeck.de> wrote:
> But it's definitly cool. When I started with Linux I thought, I could
> do everything I want with it, but now that I started developing, it
> looks, GPL is more restrictive than free.

The GPL was designed for free software, to keep it free.  If you don't
want that, use a different license.

You don't have to use the GPL on software you write.  If you require
that your code be linked with non-free code (code that doesn't meet the
conditions of Debian's Free Software Guidelines is non-free) then the
GPL does not accomplish what you want.

You can still use the GPL, but you MUST also provide some other license
to make it possible to link against the non-free code.  Personally,
I'd suggest Perl's "Artistic License" if you want to require your code
be linked against non-free code.

--
Raul