Re: Debian i386 freeze

Raul Miller wrote:
  >Stephan Kulow <coolo@itm.mu-luebeck.de> wrote:
  >> But it's definitly cool. When I started with Linux I thought, I could
  >> do everything I want with it, but now that I started developing, it
  >> looks, GPL is more restrictive than free.
  >
  >The GPL was designed for free software, to keep it free.  If you don't
  >want that, use a different license.
  >
  >You don't have to use the GPL on software you write.  If you require
  >that your code be linked with non-free code (code that doesn't meet the
  >conditions of Debian's Free Software Guidelines is non-free) then the
  >GPL does not accomplish what you want.
  >
  >You can still use the GPL, but you MUST also provide some other license
  >to make it possible to link against the non-free code.  Personally,
  >I'd suggest Perl's "Artistic License" if you want to require your code
  >be linked against non-free code.

NO NO NO!!!

The authors of a package can do what they like!  The GPL stops you making a
derivative work and putting it under a more restrictive licence.  But kde
are the original authors, so this does not apply!!!!!

The GPL has NO authority over the original authors; they can vary it as
they please (though not by changing its text, since its copyright does
not allow that - they have to make separate announcements, which they
have done.)