Re: Debian i386 freeze

> David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> wrote:
> > Well, for just one opinion on the one specific issue.. How about the
> > FSF's lawyer. I would guess that RMS has asked him about this issue,
> > unless he is already sure of it.
>
> Actually, here's something really amusing:  KDE has licensed its
> software to FSF.  Technically, it's not KDE that could sue for
> breach of license, it's RMS and his lawyer.  [Or whoever is
> dealing with such things at the FSF.]
You know the difference between license and copyright, do you? I don't
think, the GPL has something to do with the FSF directly. Maybe the text
of the license if copyrighted by the FSF, but the code, that is under
the license, that is copyrighted by the FSF is not copyrighted by the FSF,
but under the copyright of the author, that put the code under the license,
which is copyrighted by the FSF.

I hope, I got that right! ;)

> This, I think shows how much of a clue the KDE folks have about
> legal issues.
I think, it's definitly enough, if you have! I mean, that's the good
part about free software programming! You sit down 6 hours a night
and hack something nice for other people and all they do is whining
about, how much you know about licenses! I think, this is going to be
a good threat for every new young developer, that would like to contribute.
DON'T USE GPL! Noone understands it, but everyone tries to.

> That said, I'll remind people of something else: we try to maintain
> good author relations.  If the author doesn't want us to distribute
> software we generally don't, even if we're legally allowed to.
Hey, you're talking to me? As I stated while closing the bug, we're all
talking about: I (as member of the core development group for KDE) allow
debian to ship binaries. You're allowed to refer to this and my old mail
in case of beeing sued by me or any other KDE developer.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Stephan Kulow (coolo@kde.org)
Student of medical CS