Re: Debian i386 freeze

Raul Miller wrote:
> > >   On the one hand, other linux distributors (such as Red Hat and SuSE)
> > >   are distributing these binaries as if they were free software.  On
>
> Gergely Madarasz <gorgo@caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> > Just a note: RedHat doesn't ship kde, Caldera does.
>
> Wow, someone else is doing the right thing!

But for strange reasons:

a) RedHat says, Qt is non-free, we don't support it.  We do want
   all software that belongs to the RedHat distribution to be
   as free so the people can do what they like with it and don't
   have to worry about copyrights - it's all GPL or somewhat
   similar like BSD, Artistic, etc.

b) RedHat 5.1 comes with three CD-ROMs.  The first two contain
   RedHat, the third contain commercial applications that are
   shipped in .rpm and precompiled.

So what's the point of not distributing KDE?  They ship Solids
Database, WordPerfect etc.  Why isn't there a KDE*.rpm on the
third cd?  It's not a Debian issue, but "doing the right thing"
is something else, I'm sorry.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU GPL: "The source will be with you... always."