Re: Debian i386 freeze

> > and in any case the kde package does not include  Qt, which is, of course,
> > a separate library.
>
> So KDE is compilable without using the Qt header files, is that right ?
>
> I don't think so.

I don't know if it is applicable or not, but on books you are allowed to
copy verbatim so much as long as you refer to the work you took it from.

> And if you are correct, why is this clause in the GPL:
>
>    For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code
>    for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition
>    files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of
>    the executable.

Just because the clause exists doesn't mean it is legally binding.  It
could also be referring to the interface definition files of the program
and not those of the libraries it links.

> At the moment the copyright file says all of the package is covered by the
> GPL, whereas this is not in fact, since you certainly could not rebuild it
> without access to the Qt stuff, which conflicts with the GPL.

I understand your point, but I don't agree with it.  We know that the source
code is okay to distribute, so we only have to talk about the binary and
not worry about rebuilding it.

I've decided to leave the kde stuff in contrib for Hamm.  We can change it
for Slink if it is deemed necessary at the time.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )