Re: Upcoming Debian 2.0 Release

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Rob Browning wrote:
> > James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:
> >
> > > See binutils bug.  #24236 is already fixed, Rob was (emphasis on
> > > past tense) waiting on a working strip.
> >
> > And I was also waiting to see if anyone objected to my plan to
> > release an unstripped emacs binary.  Since no one has, expect a
> > new upload later today.
>
> IIRC emacs uses a weird building process that involves making a core
> dump of a running emacs and undumping that into a proper
> binary. That's why it can't be stripped.

Umm, I don't think so.  Stripping emacs19 works just fine and it uses
the same build process as emacs20.  Also strip from binutils 2.8*
*doesn't* hose emacs20.

> This may not be a bug at all.

strip hosing an ordinary (otherwise working) ELF binary (no matter how
it was built) is a bug.

--
James
~Yawn And Walk North~                                  http://yawn.nocrew.org/