WARNING: libtricks breaks dh_compress

Package: libtricks
Version: 0.1-3

I've discovered that if you install libtricks, and try to use
debhelper to build a package with dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot,
dh_compress will silently refuse to compress anything. It seems that
dh_md5sums is also broken this way -- it leaves files out of the md5sums
file.

If you use sudo or have the old fakeroot package installed and use it,
there are no problems. I assume this is a bug in libtricks.

If you use debhelper and have libtricks installed, check your packages with
lintian to see if it gives lots of errors - if so, you need to rebuild.

Joost: the easiest way to reproduce this is to simply grab the debhelper
source and build it, then see if the man pages and changelog are compressed
properly. Also, Joost, this only appears to happen if run from inside a
debian/rules makefile - I have no clue why - could it be related to the
VPATH stuff in libtricks I don't understand?

--
see shy jo