Re: exim [was Re: Status of qmail?]

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 10:02:00PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
> >FWIW, I would also put my vote behind exim.  I don't understand procmail
> >issues (raised in another message on this thread) since I've never used it,
>
> Procmail and exim work together using the classical .forward files.

Classical .forward is just a way to use procmail without getting your admin
to install it properly as the system MDA for one reason or another.  Exim
CAN use procmail if it's there and I -STILL- believe it should if procmail
is available and the user wants it that way.

This goes back to sensible-mda and the question of making sensible-mda an
/etc/alternatives thing that a mailer will use if present.  MDAs such as
procmail would need a C wrapper (short and simple) to take known parameters
and reorder them in a format the MDA in question wants them, but that's very
simple really and if the wrapper were written for one MDA, it should be
adaptable to any other MDA you wish.

Of course, if sensable-mda is NOT present, it should not be used.  Sendmail
will not die if it has to deliver mail itself.  Qmail can deliver mail
itself well enough (though it breaks policy and uses flock only on mbox
which not every program can deal with) and exim works fine without an MDA at
all, though one can be used.

Is there any reason why exim would be unable to use sensible-mda if present
or deliver itself if not?  I know that qmail and probably sendmail too would
need to be restarted before they could deal with having or not having mail
delivered differently, which brings up another issue I may bring up on
-policy at some point soon.