Re: Status of qmail?

On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 10:08:38PM +1100, Russell Coker - mailing lists account wrote:
> >This may have been covered before, but I have been on this mailing list only
> >for a week or so.
>
>   There is a qmail-src package in the non-free section.  That has the source
> to Qmail and some scripts to compile it and create a Debian package.  The idea
> is that you install qmail-src, make your qmail_xxxx.deb file, install it, and
> then purge qmail-src.  It works well for me and I doubt that anything else
> needs to be done at the moment.  Thanks to Philip Hands for the fine work.

Other than finding out if binary debian packages can be made.  If the
license allows it, it should be done.  =>  And if TJB is willing to
entertain DFSGness, that is even BETTER!

An interesting side issue..  At this stage, what would be done with the
qmail-src package if the program DID become free?  I can understand that a
qmail binary would be permitted in main for slink at that point, but what of
hamm?  It would not be right to keep the qmail source package in non-free
anymore, but a binary package would be a NEW PACKAGE.  Granted, the qmail
package has been tested rather extensively and has no release-critical bugs
filed against it (they'd be against qmail-src I would expect) but the
package in binary form has not existed in Debian's package lists before.

Of course, this is assuming TJB will even entertain the idea.  I'll start
writing that email today, in either case.  I'll probably not send it until I
see what a couple more people have to say though.