Re: Kernel Recompile

Hi,

 Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
 >> What would you like kernel-package to do?

 Raul> This isn't a kernel-package issue, as I see it.

	Well, kernel-image-* packages are *produced* using
 kernel-package packages; and in some ways this is indeed a
 kernel-package issue.

	Unfortunately, I do not understand what exactly needs to be
 documented.

	As with any package, if I go and much with /usr/bin/gs and
 /usr/lib/gs in my local gs package; then the standard gs package may
 well fail. As may packages that depend on the gs package.

	kernel-image packages are no different. Debian provides a
 means of creating compliant kernel-image packages; so people can
 compile compliant packages.

	There is not requirement for people not to muck with their
 machine (after all, it *is* their machine); but then they should know
 what they are doing, and not complain when /lib/modules blow up if
 they were not careful enough.

	Do I have a right to complain if I blow away /var/lib/dpkg/status?

 Raul> If the other parts of the system (kernel-image-* or modutils)
 Raul> has some sort of requirement that kernels are only supported if
 Raul> they're produced by make-kpkg, or with certain config options,
 Raul> or whatever, then this should be clearly documented in those
 Raul> packages.  You shouldn't have to install make-kpkg to know that
 Raul> you need to install it.

	I do not understand. What is the underlying problem? I have
 just returned from a two week trip, and I may have missed the
 relevant details. Could you educate me on the issue?

	I assumed that the issue is that if everyting in
 /lib/moules/VERSION is not compatible with the version of the kernel
 you are running, you have problems. As I see it, it is not a modutils
 issue, it is a Linux issue (maybe the HURD is the solution). What am
 I missing?

	manoj
--
 "In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with
 reality at any point." Friedrich Nietzsche