Re: Kernel Recompile

> I am sure if this is the right place for this.. It is slightly off-topic.
>Shouldn't /etc/modules get cleared or changed after you recompile the kernel
>if you change some options. For eg.., compile PS/2 mouse support in the
>kernel instead of as a module. AFAIK, it doesn't and the new kernel causes
>paging errors when it tries to load the non-exsisting modules.

  I often (unintentionally) do these sorts of things.  If you change the
kernel version and use different modules then insmod will be unable to find
the file you specify and will just display an error without affecting the
kernel.  If you use the same kernel version and do "rm -rf
/lib/modules/2.a.bb" before "make modules_install then everything will be fine
again.  If you use make-kpkg to make a .deb file of the kernel then installing
that .deb file will again wipe out the old junk from /lib/modules and
everything will still be fine.
  The only way to possibly cause problems is by manually recompiling the
kernel not using make-kpkg and not removing the obsolete files from
/lib/modules.  If you choose to do that then you're operating totally outside
the Debian system and it can't do anything to help you.  Just don't do that.

---
I'm an independant computer consultant.  I prefer to do Linux administration
and programming.  OS/2 programming is also fun, and I do sometimes do NT
programming.  I mainly do C++ programming, but would like to get into Java.
This should satisfy the curiosity of those on SERVER-LINUX.