Re: Potentially serious problem with kernel-headers...

On 13 Jul 1998, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "DS" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> DS> libc6-dev no longer depends on any kernel headers package. It incorporates
> DS> the kernel headers directly and installs them in
> DS> /usr/include/{asm,linux,scsi} directly, with no symlinks. Installing any
> DS> header package no longer has any effect on these files.
>
> What is libc-kheaders for? It says: "This package provides kernel
> header files needed by libc6-dev.", but libc6-dev doesn't depend on
> it.

Anyone building glibc will need either kernel-headers-2.0.32, or
kernel-source-2.0.32 installed for the packages to be built. You may need
other kernel headers for specific packages. These header packages are
designed to have multiple versions installed at the same time, providing
the flexibility needed by special circumstances.

Also, different architectures require specific headers, different from
other architectures, thus requiring several different headers be available
at the same time.

Their historical purpose was to allow specific headers to be installed,
that provide the required stability for libc6-dev, without the need for
the complete kernel source. Now that libc6-dev brings these header files
to the system by itself, there are still uses for the kernel-header
package.

For the package in question, it allows you to install the
kernel-header-2.0.34 package without effecting other libc6 development
work, and thus allows you to construct special programs requiring
"non-standard" header files.

Is there something I can add to the FAQ that will make this issue more
clear?

Thanks,

Dwarf