Re: Chosing release goals for slink

fog@irfmn.mnegri.it <fog@irfmn.mnegri.it> wrote:
> I am wrong or we abolished release-goals some time ago? What
> I mean is: didn't we decide to release the stable part of the
> distribution every 4 months without trying to reach some (by
> definition) unreachable goal?

Correct: they're now considered debian goals.  We'd like to organize
our work so we can cut a release (or several) in a few months time even
though we don't expect to have reached all our goals by then.

It will be an interesting exercise in paralellism (pipelining).

I think we can do this rather easily, but I'm still trying to figure
out how to announcements of significant accomplishments (or intended
work) by the ftp site maintainers.  After Jason's most recent
response to shalel I think I need to review the list of mailing
lists to see if maybe I need to join another one.

> I think a list of Debian-goals is a Good Thing (TM) anyway, even if
> the goals are not release-critical.

Yep

> > * FHS compliance
>
> How much of the FHS do we want to implement?

Very interesting question.  A couple weeks ago I'd have answered this way:
"We need to have everything run no matter how much, but eventually:
all of it."

Since that time, my attention has been called to the Gnu File System
standards from which the FHS apparently has been derived.  For some
reason, some of the GNU standard has been tossed, apparently because
it's not needed in a monolithic (non-networked) environment.

As a result, I'd currently like to see us focus a bit less than we would
have on the FHS and a bit more on the GNU standard.  So I'd like to say:
"We need to make our system so FHS compliant programs and packages
work flawlessly, but technically I don't care if we're ever completely
compliant -- I'd prefer we focussed on a dual FHS/GNU amalgam".

I hope other people agree with me.

Otherwise, in the long run, I think we're just making more work
for ourselves.

> > * PAM support
>
> PAM is now stable, right?

I believe so, though some of the newer modules may not be (which should be
irrelevant since we probably don't support anything like those modules
currently).

--
Raul