Re: Potentially serious problem with kernel-headers...

Dale E. Martin <dmartin@clifton-labs.com> wrote:
> Today, as an experiment, I manually pointed the links in
> /usr/include/ (linux and asm) to point at the header files in
> /user/src/linux-2.0.34. Recompilation with the links changed fixed
> the problem. Apparently, some kernel interface changed and because I
> didn't previously move the links (which I'm not supposed to, right?),
> the old binary was incompatible with the new kernel!

Experimentally: does the new binary work on the old kernels?

I've not used this program, does it need root priviledges?

The question is: is this a kernel bug, libc bug, a cdparanoia
bug or just a documentation bug?  Since the problem hasn't
really been isolated yet, it's hard to say.

If the program requires special priviledges, I'd guess that
maybe it is using direct access to hardware or kernel structures
in some unorthodox fashion.  If not, and if the version compiled
on kernel 2.0.34 includes works on version 2.0.32 I'm inclined
to suspect a libc bug.

But without more information it's hard to say (and I've never used
this software).

--
Raul