Re: [off topic] multi-lingual contracts (was Re: Time for some Clarity (KDE, Qt, Open Source...)

On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 10:44:14AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> > Meanwhile, there still has been no test case to prove that the GPL is
> > worth anything in the USA, let alone anywhere else.
>
> Depends what you mean by "test case".  The handling of objective C strikes
> me as significant.

There have been several instances of software vendors that violated the GPL
deciding to comply with it after the FSF promised to sue them if they didn't
comply. All this says is that in those vendors opinion (or their lawyers'),
the GPL is worth something. This is very different from having actual
jurisprudence on the validity of the GPL (AFAIK, it has never been tested in
court, and the verdict of just a single court doesn't mean much (see the
current verdicts on whether computer source code is protected by the first
ammendment)).

Ray - who thinks this thread belongs on gnu.misc.discuss
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,