Re: Time for some Clarity (KDE, Qt, Open Source...)

I am beginign to see these copyright discussions as somewhat counterproductive
but anyway....

On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 02:10:56PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> > > Talking about international software law, I've heard that in Spain a license
> > > written in a foreign language is useless. I don't know if that's the same
> > > in other countries of the EU, but we should check, and start lobbying RMS
> > > for "official" translated versions of the GPL and LGPL.
>
> Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com> wrote:
> > Same in France, _any_ document (licence/documentation/etc...) not in
> > French has no legal value.
>
> Of course, with the berne convention, that would mean that legally we're
> not allowed to distribute at all in those countries. Or aren't Spain and
> France signatories to this convention?]
>
> [Berne convention says that written works are copyrighted even in
> the absence of a license or notice. So the license is what *enables*
> distribution, it doesn't prohibit anything that isn't already
> prohibited.]
>
> Perhaps there's some kind of exception where someone in Spain (or
> France) can willfully accept the terms of a license written in some
> other language? Or are citizens of these countries forbideen from doing
> so?

I would wonder if this matters at all when you talk about a software licence
from an english speaking country. To take this to the extreme....
if a french company and a spanissh company were to do buisness...and
agree to do it in one language or
the other (maybe french because they both speak french better than the
french companies's execs speak spanish or whatever)....does that
mean that the Spanish company is free to break the contract
however it suits them to do so, without any fear of legal actions?

What if the contract is in spanish? can the french compnay then break it
with legal impunity? DO they need to draw up all of the contracts in both
languages and sign ALL copies?

If I take my computer and up and move to france, become a french citizen
and renounce my US citizenship, then am I suddenly relieved
of all software licence agreements on all of the software that I brought
because the Licences were written in English?...and if I turn
left out of the driveway next week and get broadsided by a Bus that happens to
be doin 50 MPH down the road...what did it all matter anyway?

I understand that if the law was a computer program...it would be
even buggier than the worst Microsoft product...worring about
1 countries laws is already too much for me...

do we really need to consider all of the possible problems with laws in
other countries that we don't know about? And if we do...then...when
can we expect to actually get anything else done?

-Steve

--
/* -- Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> ------------------------------ */
A favorite quote from a source I forget: