Re: Time for some Clarity (KDE, Qt, Open Source...)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 10:51:46AM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> > do you know german law ? it's very different from us law, and nearly no us
> > licence will work as expected here. for example all "no warrenty" statements
> > have no effect, if you sell software to me (e.g. a cdrom).
> > we are no layers, and no experts of international software law.
>
> Talking about international software law, I've heard that in Spain a license
> written in a foreign language is useless. I don't know if that's the same
> in other countries of the EU, but we should check, and start lobbying RMS
> for "official" translated versions of the GPL and LGPL.

Same in France, _any_ document (licence/documentation/etc...) not in
French has no legal value.

There already is a very good french translation of the GPL, but if my
memory is correct RMS said the may obstacle to having official
translations would be the price (to pay a layer to check if the
translation make sence and doesn't betray the original version).

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -