Re: apt: Uses bogus ftp password on ftp:// urls

Florian Hinzmann <f.hinzmann@public.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> On 26-Jun-98 Dan Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> >> Kernel Version: Linux nowhere 2.0.33 #8 Fri May 8 10:28:28 CEST 1998 i586
> >> unknown
> >
> > There's your problem!  Your hostname seems to be 'nowhere', which is
> > not a legitimate hostname.  I've never found a really good solution,
>
> As has been said: Apt 0.0.18 will contain a workaround
> for this problem, but I'd like to say some words
> to my hostname.
>
> The problem with my hostname is: I don't have one. ;)

Technically there's nothing wrong with your hostname, this is an APT bug, pure
and simple. Programs should generally not make any assumptions about any
correlation between the name in the kernel (confusingly called the "nodename"
and the DNS database. Any program that does is likely to fail on machines with
transient connections or multiple interfaces.

In this case it's doubly wrong since APT wants the e-mail address of the user,
which should never be computed directly from either the nodename or the DNS
names. It should be taken from either the EMAIL environment variable or on a
Debian machine $USER@`cat /etc/mailname`.

I would suggest it double check this value to be sure it fits the rules the
archives use to check it and if not prompt for a password.

greg