Re: apt: Uses bogus ftp password on ftp:// urls

On 26-Jun-98 Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

>> Kernel Version: Linux nowhere 2.0.33 #8 Fri May 8 10:28:28 CEST 1998 i586
>> unknown
>
> There's your problem!  Your hostname seems to be 'nowhere', which is
> not a legitimate hostname.  I've never found a really good solution,

As has been said: Apt 0.0.18 will contain a workaround
for this problem, but I'd like to say some words
to my hostname.

The problem with my hostname is: I don't have one. ;)
I only get dynamic ip numbers when dialing up.
IMHO there is a big lack of support for dynamic ip
in many programs. I try to figure out how to set
up my Linux box with dynamic ip correctly, but there
seems to be no official, no right way to do it.

Normally my primary hostname is 'pumuckl.lan.local'.
'nowhere.uni-hamburg.de' just was a try to solve the
problem with apt. But it didn't work.

> but the best seems to be to give yourself some iminary hostname and add
> it to /etc/hosts - but it has to have more than one segment.

My hostname has more than one segment. 'uname -a' is
reporting only the hostname, not the fully qualified one
(hostname with complete domain) even if I do:
'echo some.domain >/proc/sys/kernel/domainname'.

---
  Florian Hinzmann               f.hinzmann@public.uni-hamburg.de
                                 fh@dipa.de
NEW PGP-Key fingerprint: DD 61 74 34 04 FB 8A BD  43 54 83 38 0C 82 EF B1