Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

 Steve> Correct.  Now, tell me, is begrudging people their choice of
 Steve> software a goal of Debian?  No.  The arguement I had with
 Steve> Manoj was about one thing and that was it.  He begrudges
 Steve> people that and then wrote from the viewpoint of the project
 Steve> and Debian developers *AS* *A* *WHOLE*.

 Steve>     He stated as much in one of his messages, check the mailing list
 Steve> archives.

 Steve>     *THAT* is what I objected to.

 Debian says it is committted to 100% free software, free as
    defined in the DFSG.
 Debian says that any software that is non free or depends on non free
    software is not part of debian
 Debian has, in the past, preferred solutions that are free in favour
    of a better non-free product.
 Debian took money given to them via sales of a non free product; and
    gave it to a free alternative that was not as advanced.
 In the discussion in the past, to the best of my recollection only
    one debian developer opnely supports debian promoting non-free
    software. I could be mistaken about this. I would e really
    surprised if there were ore than a handful of debian developers
    not totally commited to the concept of freedom of software
 In this discussion, there has been one devloer that agreed with you,
     and several that sided with me
 There have been major grumblings when people tried using a non free
     database for a debian internal project; to the extent that the
     person working on it gave up; we are waiting for it to be
     implemented no a free alternative datsabase package
 In fact, there have been grumblings whenever we used non free
     packages for the project internally.
 Past flam wars like this usually come to the conclusion that we
     actively promote free software

	Given all this, I do not think it was unreasonable for me to
 say "we grudgingly provide non-free software on out ftp site
 for our users". The only reason non-free software is there because
 our users want it.

	Object all you want. I think I do express the sentiments of
 most of the deelopers when I said it. (If not, I am sure people shall
 let me know ;-).

	manoj
--
 Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain, Our thoughts are
 link'd by many a hidden chain; Awake but one, and lo, what myriads