Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

On 30 Jun 1998 01:46:18 -0400, Gregory S. Stark wrote:

>It seems you've gotten as far as reading the Social Contract, Policy et. al.
>and have found you don't agree with them and don't want to be a part of them.

    Incorrect.  I have never stated that.

>Incidentally, a scanner doesn't help with authentication. You might be >reading an older version of the policy that mentioned using scanned paper >IDs. If you don't have a well-signed key (and most people should be capable >of acquiring at least a verisign certificate or a Thawte PGP key) a phone >number you can be reached at that can be verified in a directory is >sufficient.

    Current pages from www.debian.org

-----

You should also include some mechanism by which we can verify your real-life
identity. For example, any of the following mechanisms would suffice:

     A PGP or RSA key signed by any well-known signature, such as any current
Debian developer.
     A scanned (or physically mailed) copy of any formal documents certifying
your identity (such as a birth certificate, national ID card, U.S. Driver's
License, etc.). Please sign the image with your
     PGP or RSA key.

The following mechanisms are discouraged, but are acceptable if neither of
the first two mechanisms is practical:

     A pointer to a phone listing at which you could be reached (at our
expense). This phone listing should be verifiable independently through
external means such as a national directory-listing service
     or other authoritative source.
     Any other mechanism by which you can establish your real-life identity
with reasonable certainty.

-----

    Discouraged.  I'd love to have a verified phone number, but I rent from a
friend and the phone is and has been in his name.

>No, it is your logic which is flawed. The implication is axiomatic. If the
>conclusion is false it follows that the antecedant, that you really want to >be a Debian develper is false. Being a Debian developer means more than just
>building packages, it means being on board with the goals of Debian.

    Correct.  Now, tell me, is begrudging people their choice of software a
goal of Debian?  No.  The arguement I had with Manoj was about one thing and
that was it.  He begrudges people that and then wrote from the viewpoint of
the project and Debian developers *AS* *A* *WHOLE*.

    He stated as much in one of his messages, check the mailing list
archives.

    *THAT* is what I objected to.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my