Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

 Steve> Obviously my attitude to those who do not differs from yours
 Steve> and Manoj's by a great deal.  And that is where this whole
 Steve> arguement, which you found funny, stems from.  The fact that
 Steve> some developers can be commited to the very same ideas and
 Steve> prinicples that Manoj is without having his bias and
 Steve> negativity towards others.  That is where the arguement came
 Steve> from, Hamish.

	Hoo boy, I have bias and am negative to people. Umm. Maybe. I
 think I have made a commitment to an goal, and stubbronly resist
 people who want to make me change.

	I also do not go about calling people biased; though the
 temptation often looms large. I just think that I would only listen
 to plans for a major change in the published goals of the project
 from someone who has at the very least made the effort to get
 involved.

	I really think that joining Debian is more than merely having
 a signed key. It is also about ideology; anyone can get a key signed;
 but is is good for the project to let just anyone in? Any project as
 large and as involved as Debian requires a modicum of cooperation; if
 the members are not like minded and are constantly bickering,
 internecine strife shall kill the project off.  (I know I shall get
 into trouble for this; and I shall likely be misquoted, or quoted out
 of context. Like minded does not mean there is no dissent
 -- you just have to read the lists to know that. But basic ideology
 has to match, and I think ratification of the letter and the
 spirit of the DFSG and the DSG is of paramount importance. Any
 dialog, any amount of coperation, needs an understanding and
 agreement of the basics. When the belief sets are totally dovergent,
 nothing can be accomplished).

	Actually, people have been refused in the past, even with
 signed keys.  They were deemed unfit to join the project.

 Steve> You willing to sign my key?  I know you can't since we're
 Steve> physically on different continents, but are you willing?  Are
 Steve> you able to grasp that concept, that someone can disagree with
 Steve> you and still be a part of the project you are, still support
 Steve> it?

	What does signing a key have to do with the project? I signed
 keys for 8 people at USENIX. All it took was two forms of ID, and a
 fingerprint of their key. Are you sure you understand the concepts
 behind the web of trust and the problem of distributing public keys
 with assurance to whose keys they are?

	manoj
--
 "The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know
 what is enough until we know what is more than enough." William Blake