Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Some time around  30 Jun 1998 01:46:18 EDT,
         Gregory S. Stark wrote:

 > "Steve Lamb" <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:
 >
 > > On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:23:47 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
 > >     Duh.  Since you are stunningly brilliant at missing the implications o
 > > actions and messages from others, why do you think I'd want the key signed
 > ?
 > > Let's see.  You either need to submit a signed key by another developer or
 > > proof of who you are along with your key.  That would mean a scanner.  Sin
 > ce
 > > I don't have access to a scanner my only course of action is to get my key
 > > signed.
 > >
 > >     One the key is signed I then should be on debian-devel.  Whoops, looks
 > > like I'm already there.  Then read the DSC, DFSG and other documents.
 >
 > Actually the sequence of events should be:
 >
 > Join debian-devel to be up-to-date on the issues involved in packaging.
 > Announce intent to package something.
 > Read and agree to abide by the Social Contract.
 > Read the debian policy and packaging manual.
 > Package something.
 > Authenticate your identity for upload purposes.
 > Be added as a developer.
 >
 > It seems you've gotten as far as reading the Social Contract, Policy et. al.
 > and have found you don't agree with them and don't want to be a part of them
 > .
 >
 > Incidentally, a scanner doesn't help with authentication. You might be readi
 > ng
 > an older version of the policy that mentioned using scanned paper IDs. If yo
 > don't have a well-signed key (and most people should be capable of acquiring
 > at least a verisign certificate or a Thawte PGP key) a phone number you can
 > be
 > reached at that can be verified in a directory is sufficient.

That is incorrect.  We ask for either a signed key, or a scan of ID to verify
your identity.  We also ask for a phone number to call to make sure the person
understands free software movement, and agrees with Social Contract.   We
don't really consider the phone call/phone number part of verification.  In
case a person doesn't have access to a scanner, they can snail-mail us a copy
of their ID.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@igoria.net