Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:23:47 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>>     So now having a package that you have in your database is a requirement
>> for speaking with you?  Fine, sign my key so I can start packaging things.
>> I've got several packages I've been thinking about making but don't have my
>> key signed by another developer or access to a scanner.

>A better test is on an account on master. That means you've gone to the
>trouble of becoming a developer, which means you've largely agreed
>with the Debian Free Software Guidelines. It's a committment to the
>DFSG. Not being a developer doesn't mean you're not committed, of course.

    Duh.  Since you are stunningly brilliant at missing the implications of
actions and messages from others, why do you think I'd want the key signed?
Let's see.  You either need to submit a signed key by another developer or
proof of who you are along with your key.  That would mean a scanner.  Since
I don't have access to a scanner my only course of action is to get my key
signed.

    One the key is signed I then should be on debian-devel.  Whoops, looks
like I'm already there.  Then read the DSC, DFSG and other documents.

    Once all of that is done, submit the image with the key, or key key
signed, with a prefered name for master.

    Hrm, JED needs a maintainer as of the last list, I was thinking about
that.  Or looking at micq to see if that would be a nice small package to
start from.  Also faub could be packaged, I'd have to take a look at the aub
package to see how that one is done before packaging faub.

    Yes, Hamish, I want to be a developer for Debian.  That means, shock of
shockers, I agree with the DSFG and the DSC.  But here is where you fail on
the implication...

    Obviously my attitude to those who do not differs from yours and Manoj's
by a great deal.  And that is where this whole arguement, which you found
funny, stems from.  The fact that some developers can be commited to the very
same ideas and prinicples that Manoj is without having his bias and
negativity towards others.  That is where the arguement came from, Hamish.

    You willing to sign my key?  I know you can't since we're physically on
different continents, but are you willing?  Are you able to grasp that
concept, that someone can disagree with you and still be a part of the
project you are, still support it?

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my