Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

"Steve Lamb" <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:23:47 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>     Duh.  Since you are stunningly brilliant at missing the implications of
> actions and messages from others, why do you think I'd want the key signed?
> Let's see.  You either need to submit a signed key by another developer or
> proof of who you are along with your key.  That would mean a scanner.  Since
> I don't have access to a scanner my only course of action is to get my key
> signed.
>
>     One the key is signed I then should be on debian-devel.  Whoops, looks
> like I'm already there.  Then read the DSC, DFSG and other documents.

Actually the sequence of events should be:

Join debian-devel to be up-to-date on the issues involved in packaging.
Announce intent to package something.
Read and agree to abide by the Social Contract.
Read the debian policy and packaging manual.
Package something.
Authenticate your identity for upload purposes.
Be added as a developer.

It seems you've gotten as far as reading the Social Contract, Policy et. al.
and have found you don't agree with them and don't want to be a part of them.

Incidentally, a scanner doesn't help with authentication. You might be reading
an older version of the policy that mentioned using scanned paper IDs. If you
don't have a well-signed key (and most people should be capable of acquiring
at least a verisign certificate or a Thawte PGP key) a phone number you can be
reached at that can be verified in a directory is sufficient.

>     Yes, Hamish, I want to be a developer for Debian.  That means, shock of
> shockers, I agree with the DSFG and the DSC.  But here is where you fail on
> the implication...

No, it is your logic which is flawed. The implication is axiomatic. If the
conclusion is false it follows that the antecedant, that you really want to be
a Debian develper is false. Being a Debian developer means more than just
building packages, it means being on board with the goals of Debian.

greg