Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

Hi,

 Chris> On Jun 27, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
 >> The more I am think about it the more it seams that having a separate
 >> non-cd branch (to include packages that cannot be distributed on cd rom)
 >> and a non-free branch (to include programs that are ok to distribute)
 >> seams like a really good idea.

 Chris> I'll reply at this level (mainly because the next 100+
 Chris> messages got way beyond the core issue here...)

 Chris> It is a really good idea.  However, convincing the individuals with
 Chris> strongly-held views who "run" Debian of the goodness of this idea is
 Chris> problematic, to say the least.

	It is not just strongly held views. It is a matter of
 liability. When we start judging which packages are free enough to go
 on a CD, we are, in effect, judging the packages, and giving legal
 advice (a lawyer on the lists said that this was like practicing law
 -- ridiculous as it sounds).

	I do confess to being scared about the liability issue.

	If anyone feels strongly about this, they may create a list of
 packages that they felt was cd-ok; and publish it on a site with
 links to the Debian archive site. They assume the liability then.

 Chris> only maintainers uploading new versions have to make a
 Chris> decision to change "non-free" to "cd-ok" in their
 Chris> debian/control file; old packages can stay in non-free, with
 Chris> wishlist bugs (if someone wants to file them) saying that the
 Chris> license is cd-ok.

	Maintrainers now apparently can't even decide if packages meet
 DFSG standards, and you expect them to understand law (sometimes,
 laws of other countries) in order to decide when it is free enough to
 go on a CD?

	It has nothing to do with extra work or endorsing software or
 any of the other stuff you entioned.

	I like my house. You may not have any assets and thus fear no
 lawsuits, but I am not so fortunate. I have given hostages to
 fortune.

 Chris> If they are too stupid to read a license and figure out
 Chris> whether it's OK to put the software on a CD or not (i.e. can't
 Chris> pick out phrases like "You may redistribute this software in
 Chris> unmodified form without restriction."), then they're probably
 Chris> too stupid to be maintainers.  Not only is this argument an
 Chris> insult to the intelligence of hundreds of Debian developers
 Chris> (made by an individual in the "if it's not DFSG, it's crap"
 Chris> camp, whom one would expect to be more "in tune" with the
 Chris> maintainers than his opponents), it's also the perfect example
 Chris> of the thoughtless, ad hominem attacks that have characterized
 Chris> this debate.

	I have posted on just such an incident today, where the
 maintainer was unaware that binary only code could not be put in
 main/contrib. He was under the impression that since it did not cost
 anything, it was free as far as debian was concerned.

	This is not an ad hominem attack. This is reality. Happened
 less than 2 hours ago.

	manoj

 Date: 26 May 90 00:00:37 GMT From: merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal
 Schwartz) sub isplit { # &isplit(word,string) => array
 local($word,$_) = @_; local(@ind,@result,$start,$end); @ind = (0);
 s#$word#push(ind,length($`),length($`.$&)),$&#ieg; push(ind,length);
 @ind now has pairs of indicies (0-origin) into $_ that bound the
 non-$word items; convert into result: while (@ind) { $start =
 shift(ind); $end = shift(ind);
 push(result,substr($_,$start+$[,$end-$start)); } @result; } print
 &isplit("z","JzuZsztZ zaZnzoZtzhZezrZ zPZezrZlz ZhzaZczkZezrZ,");