Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

On Jun 29, Scott Hanson wrote:
> OK, can you tell me whether this excerpt from the Mysql Public License
> allows putting mysql on any CD:
>
> <quote>
> Distribution of the Program or any work based on the Program by a
> commercial organization to any third party is prohibited if any
> payment is made ...However, the following methods of distribution
> involving payment shall not in and of themselves be a violation of
> this restriction:
> (ii) Distributing the Program on a CD-ROM, provided that the
> files containing the Program are reproduced entirely and verbatim on
> such CD-ROM, and provided further that all information on such CD-ROM
> be redistributable for non-commercial purposes without charge.
> </quote>
>
> I'm not a lawyer. I just want to maintain the mysql package so people
> can use it with Debian. I don't want to have to try to interpret
> non-free licenses for other people making CDs, especially since I have
> no idea what else they are putting on the CD.

It sounds like (ii) is an exception to the "Distribution of the Program..."
clause, so yes.

> If you want to take that legal responsibility, be my guest.

And if you don't... you don't have to put it in anything other than non-free.

In any event, we could always say "While we provide 'cd-ok' as a service to
CD-ROM vendors, it is ultimately your responsibility to determine whether
you are permitted to distribute these packages."

Note that in the case of non-free software inadvertently being in main, the
CD-ROM vendor is ultimately responsible (since we never put it on a CD and
illegaly distributed it: he/she did).

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence         |     The truth really is out there...     |
|     <quango@ix.netcom.com>     |       http://www.memphiswatch.org/       |
|    B.A., Political Science     |       Visit the Amiga Web Directory      |
|     University of Memphis      |      http://www.cucug.org/amiga.html     |